Now I am sure that the DIY tutorial works wonderfully but since I make topiaries a lot I did it primarily my way ;)
2- 4" round white styrofoam balls (walmart 2 pack)
2 white dollar store metal buckets (small flower pot size)
2 - 12" dowel rods
2 bags of peppermints (also found at dollar store)
1 roll red duct tape (as suggested in DIY tutorial)
Hot glue gun
Plaster of paris ( I always use this instead of styrofoam in the base)
red and white ribbon
1. Cut small strips of red duct tape and cover each styrofoam ball. I had never done this before but will am going to start doing for several reasons. It covers the ball so if there are gaps you only see the color of the tape and it keeps the styrofam from getting all over you.
2. Start hot gluing the mints on the ball. Don't worry too much about them being perfect, it won't matter once they are all on. I do suggest putting glue on the mint then sticking them on instead of glue on the ball then stick. Worked better for me. Also I needed 3 bags of mints. Each bag had about 60 mints. Each 4 inch ball needed a few more than 60.
|Start at the top|
3. Paint your dowel rods red or white. I went with red because I was using white pots.
4. Hot glue the rod so its standing straight up in the pot.
5. Mix and pour in plaster of paris.
6. Let it set (30 minutes)
7. Secure ball on to the top of the dowel. I put glue on the dowel before inserting it into the hole I make in the ball with scissors. Just an opening, the dowel will slide in fine on its own.
8. Add a decorative ribbon to the pot.
Here are the final products! I think they turned out great! I also sprayed them with a clear sealant spray so they can be stored and reused next year.