Friday, November 11, 2011

DIY Crayon Wreath

Seeing that I was an elementary school teacher for nearly a decade, I am always on the look out for a good teacher or day care teacher gift! FYI- I have an EXTENSIVE collection of coffee mugs that say Merry Christmas or Happy Birthday....hint hint parents.
Anyway, when I saw this crayon wreath, my little crafter eyes bugged out and I said "I am SO making that!!"
Pinterest Wreath
So I read a few tutorials....basically they all say buy a cheap foam 12" wreath, 3-4 boxes of 24 crayons and start glueing.

But I did it a little differently. I bought a 12" metal wreath frame. Like this one....

And then I wrapped it in white 7/8" grosgrain ribbon. I also made sure to add a long piece to use as a hanger once done.
Now it took me a few tries to figure out the best way place and space the crayons. I used the ribbon hanger as my "12 o'clock" and placed my first crayon there. I decided to go with a rainbow pattern...you know ROYGBIV :) Anyway after a little trial and error I figured out that the bottom of the crayon needed to be touching but the a small gap at the top...on a slight angle in order to keep the crayons even all the way around.
1/3 of the way there.

It took 3 and a half boxes of crayons but I didn't use the grey,white , black and brown crayons. If I had it probably would have only taken 3 boxes.
Here is my finished product (and I have to stop taking pics with my iPhone)

My Crayon Wreath
Overall I am pretty happy with it :) I will probably change out the bow for something a little bigger. But I am excited to give it to my daughter's day care teacher for christmas. Oh and since I already have a ton of crayons in my basement I will probably do a crayon frame and maybe this pin too...



Happy Pinning!
Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment