Friday, November 11, 2011

White Bean Chili

If you’re anyone who knows me, you know that I have put off learning to cook until the absolute last minute. We are rarely home as a family to eat dinner together and until 6 months ago, I didn’t have to worry about a real dinner each night! Once my boy started eating table food, I needed to get my act together. To make matters worse, I get home in time to feed him, bathe him and put him to bed; there is no time to “cook” in that schedule!

So all that said, I’m becoming a master slow cooker J

The White Chili recipe caught my eye for one main reason, my boy. He loves corn and beans and loves them more when they taste better than right out of the can. I made some minor tweaks to the recipe since the kind lady who shared her secret said it came out soupy over chili-ish (yes that’s a word…).

1.       The original poster did not drain the beans or chilies, I DID
2.       I used a whole 14 ounce can of vegetable broth (instead of the recommended 1 cup)
3.       I added twice the garlic called for (we like garlic)
4.       I cooked for 10 hours on low

With these changes and some cheese tossed on top in my bowl, I had a nice bowl of white chili waiting for me after a long day at work. Two thumbs up, this was good!

Link to original recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment